Wednesday, July 18, 2007

In the blink of an eye!

In our school district their is a quiet pressure to have your child reading before they enter first grade. (We also do not have public Kindergarten.) I am not sure where the pressure comes from, the school district or fellow parents who are working with their children at an early age, but I feel it. So we have been working with our oldest on his phonemic skills. He loves books. He loves to collect them and we have been reading chapter books to him since he was three. And now he is beginning to read at a basic level and while exciting, I worry that he really does not want to read although he can. My worries are disappearing after a not-to-be-forgotten comment this week.
Surf that Wave is the first book my son has loved to read over and over again. Maybe because it is surfing or maybe because it is Backyardigans. (Maybe both!) In his words to his best friend while discussing books at our local library,

"I can read it in the blink of an eye."

No comments: