Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Who's reading what?

I am finding it really difficult to post as often as I would like. I knew this might be an occasional problem since my kids are 5, 4 and 2. My house is in a constant state of messiness. So the question always is...Do I sit down at my computer for some reading time, do I sit down for some writing time, do I work on my next course I am teaching in the summer, do I play with my kids, or do I actually clean my house.
Today the computer wins.
That is, in between the fights my four year old and two year old have been having for the last two hours. My four wants to fill Easter eggs with money and hide them around the house for only her to find while the two wants to find them, open them and throw them around in various directions.
Oh well. Let's see if I can finish before I have to pick up the five year old at school.
I thought it might be nice to post once a week about what we are reading and really enjoying so here it is:
The Five Year Old: He is really enjoying Burger Boy by Alan Durant which we found at our local library. He loves to imagine what he might turn into which is probably a french fry. Although he does not read these with me he is also carrying around a DK Pocket encyclopedia on Rocks and Minerals in his backpack as well as a Harry Potter map book based upon the mythological and historical references in the books. I think he likes that fact that it looks like a book but has a fold-out map on the inside. We are both listening to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire on our way to and from school. We are also eagerly awaiting the movie since we only have two CD's left.

My Four Year Old: She loves My Friend is Sad. One of the newest books out from Mo Willems. I can really act this book out. It is so funny. Mo's sense of humors infects us. We are also enjoying Mo's new site http://www.pigeonp resents.com. Try the hotdog game! Her other favorite is Max's Chocolate Chicken by Rosemary Wells. We pull this one out every Easter and the Easter bunny always gets my children chocolate chickens just as Max and Ruby receive.

My two year old: He brings me his tried and true favorites each night.
That's Not My Monster from Usborne books.
Goodnight Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann
and our new favorite board book: Skippyjon Jones: Color Crazy. He likes to say that Skippy needs to go to time out since he colors everything including himself!

3 comments:

Vivian Mahoney said...

It'll get easier. The kids will learn how to coexist peacefully for longer periods of time. Really.

Thanks for sharing some great books. Have a great weekend.

LibraryLinda said...

Hey Holly,
We have Judy Schachner at our school (NHS) on May 16th. Want to come hear her speak?
Also there is a new Scaredy Squirrel--just as great as the first!

--Linda

Andromeda Jazmon said...

My two year old loves Goodnight Gorilla too! All my boys have loved it.