Friday, April 27, 2007

Poetry Friday-A Smushed Peanut and Google Booksearch


My five year old will contribute his favorite poem to Poetry Friday.
And here it is....

A Peanut Sat on a Railroad Track

A peanut sat on a railroad track,
it's heart was all aflutter;
The five-fifteen came rushing by-
Toot! Toot! Peanut Butter!

Anonymous

This poem appears in Talking Like the Rain: A Read-to-me Book of Poems by X.J. Kennedy and Dorothy M. Kennedy and illustrated by Jane Dyer.

Technology tidbit: When I went searching for this poem on the web, the first link that opened in Google was their book search. Immediately, I had access to at least 20 books with a reference to this poem and the first two books on the list were poetry anthologies. In addition, Google books shows the exact page the poem appears on with the illustrations. Very cool. I knew Google was doing this and I knew of the controversy but I am eager to explore the use of Google Books for classroom use. Amazon does this, but the excerpts are usually shorter.
For more onGoogle's take on the controversy.
Google Books

1 comment:

Vivian Mahoney said...

Thanks for stopping by. I so appreciate your advice. Your experience must have been quite frightening. Glad to hear all is well now.