Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Scaredy Squirrel and other Backyard Friends


I am having a great time planning a few story times for our local library. The Friends of the Library of Windham sponsors weekend story times for parents and children who cannot attend the regular weekly story hours. My last theme was Giants and I had a great time choosing several books that were illustrated by Kevin Hawkes. Wait until you see his next book, The Wicked Big Toddlah. This month I had a brainstorm based on the popular Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watts. My title for story hour is "Scaredy Squirrel and other Backyard Friends." So far I have constructed a short list of books to read and welcome any suggestions anyone may have.
Here is my list:

Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watts
A Good Day by Kevin Henkes
Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes
Once I Ate a Pie by Patricia MacLachlan and Emily MacLachlan Charest Ill. by Katy Schneider
Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell
Two Bad Ants by Chris Van Allsburg
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

Any other suggestions??

And here is my safety kit for Scaredy Squirrel.

My kids thought this was fun. Although by the time we were looking for sardines they were questioning why exactly we were doing it. Now they want to know what we are going to do with it. It will serve as a prop for my read aloud much like a felt board.
I'm still pondering a craft idea. I may make bird feeders or pretend binoculars with paper towel tubes and decorating items. I am also going to construct a basket of field guides and outdoor exploring tools to show parents.
Finally, I like to present chapter books to challenge parents who don't usually think their young children can comprehend and listen to something long. Any recommendations for chapter books along this theme for the younger child. Maybe ages 4-7???

For more reviews and information about Scaredy Squirrel and it's new sequel check out:
Scaredy Squirrel's Web site
Jen Robinson's Review of Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend
The Cybils Web site where Scaredy Squirrel won the picture book award!